Friday, June 8, 2012

First thoughts

It is time that we send something to Tokyo, for the beginning of the project on the 13th, and I have spent the morning deliberating on what would make a good first contribution. Actually, I have been thinking about this for a while, but have been unable to commit to a specific everyday project or action, perhaps because I don't want to add one more routine to a series of routines that already exist in daily life.

Lately I have been feeling both mired in the everyday and at the same time not aware of it at all. I think this happens when daily business, stresses and worries take over. It is so easy to lose touch with the feeling of just being alive. (I keep postcards on On Kawara's work on the walls to remind me of this)

Utako and I spoke a few weeks ago about the importance not only of an art practice being sustainable within our ordinary lives, but also that the art practice sustain us in some way. By that we mean that it can give us something to hold on to, something to enrich us, something to take us out of what might be mere 'survival mode'. I think this project will provide an impetus to become more aware of the everyday, to provide a pause, a breath, in which to stop and notice, to be observant. I am excited about the unknown possibilities of leaving things open. What encounters or experiences might this engender?

Utako's story about her neighbour is one of these beautiful moments. Maybe you don't need art for this?

No comments:

Post a Comment